Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sometimes I Think I Live in a Fairy Tale

On the 26th of March, the most wonderful man in the world asked me to marry him, making me the luckiest and happiest girl alive. 

If you know Mike and me at all, you'll know that we've been put through quite the test over the past three years. Since the very beginning, (a week after we got together, to be exact) we have been in a long distance relationship. Not just a few towns, cities, or states apart, but 3,733 miles apart,  give or take a few. We have had to live our relationship through video chat for a good amount of the time we've been together, sometimes going for months and months without being able to see each other in person. But we've always made sure to set aside at least an hour everyday to go on our "skype dates," and because of that, we got to know each other much better than people we saw on a daily basis. Its amazing how deeply and quickly you grow close to someone when all you're able to do is talk to each other.

I would keep a countdown until the next time I got to see Mike...one time I even made a paper chain and ripped off a link with everyday that passed. After we met working at Phantom Lake YMCA Camp in the summer of 2009, we went for four months without seeing each other. I came to the UK with Mary and Alec in the following January, and Mike and I spent a perfect week together in North Wales. After such a long time apart, that week was everything I had hoped it would be. It solidified all of our feelings for each other, and reinforced our commitment to stay with each other, despite the distance.
Milwaukee, Summer 2009
North Wales, 2009 
North Wales, 2009

After that first trip to the UK, Mike came to the US for spring break, and then for the entire summer. Although the time apart was incredibly difficult, seemingly impossible somedays, I can say that it has definitely taught us to genuinely appreciate the time that we do have together. I've never looked forward to anything more in my entire life than seeing Mike after so much time has passed. The feeling I get when I see him at that airport or that train station is just incredible.

Milwaukee, Spring 2010

 Chicago, Spring 2010
Chicago, Summer 2010

Madison, Fall 2010




The following winter, after yet another semester apart, I went to France to celebrate the New Year with Mike and his family. We had a wonderful time exploring the area for a week, then Mike and I took some time to travel to Italy together. We rented a car and drove from Venice to Pisa, Florence, Rome, and Sorrento. Although our relationship has had the obvious drawbacks, we're definitely lucky in that we've been able to do some things that "normal" couples might not necessarily be able to do! Italy was gorgeous...gorgeous food, weather, language...and I got to experience all of it with my gorgeous boyfriend! At the end of our trip, we flew from Venice to Paris, where we spent the last four days of my time in Europe. Paris was 100% the romantic cliché that I had expected, but I loved every second of it. After a very tearful goodbye at the airport, we parted ways until spring break.
France, Winter 2011
Sorrento, Winter 2011 
Paris, Winter 2011
Paris, Winter 2011
We had another wonderful summer together in 2011, sweetened because we knew we wouldn't have to say goodbye at the end. We split our time pretty equally between Wisconsin and Illinois - Mike worked at a country club north of Chicago for the past two summers. We've really grown to love Chicago, and would be really happy to end up here someday.

Summer 2011 
Summer 2011 
Chicago, Summer 2011 


This year, since I've been studying abroad in the UK, it has been an absolute dream being able to see each other whenever we want. Just knowing that he is only a short train journey away is such a comfort. Not to mention, I've been able to spent so much more time with his family, and I've really grown to love them! Here are some highlights from the year so far...

Loughborough, Fall 2011
North Wales, Fall 2011 
North Wales, Fall 2011

Bristol, Fall 2011 
My birthday, Winter 2011 
Mike's birthday, Winter 2011 
London, Spring 2012
London, Spring 2012
But by far, the greatest moment of the year (of my life!) was when Mike asked me to marry him. We had had a nice day together in Llangollen, and Mike wanted to hike up Conwy Mountain that evening in time for sunset. This was one of the things we did that first winter I came to the UK, so it had some sentimental value for us. I should mention that I thought he was going to propose soon - he had asked my parents' permission last summer - but I had it in my head that he was going to do it when we were in Scotland the following week. So I was not expecting the proposal that day at all. Clueless, I whined and complained the entire way up the mountain about how I didn't really feel like climbing up it tonight, and repeatedly asking Mike if we "could just call this the top." When we finally made it, Mike asked me to get something out of his bag for him. While my back was turned, he had gotten down on one knee, and, when I turned around, he asked me to marry him. Happiest moment of my life!! I couldn't stop crying and screaming in joy, even more so when I saw how gorgeous the ring was! He picked it out LAST SUMMER in the US, and has had it in safekeeping this entire time. Talk about a good secret-keeper!

AHHHHH!
I am not even going to describe how much I love this man, and I feel so privileged to be able to spend the rest of my life with him. We definitely have some challenges ahead of us, I've no doubt. But one thing's for certain, I'm living the dream with Mike, and I am so honored and lucky that he wants to be my babestation forever.

4 comments:

  1. Definitely crying before I even got to the proposal part. I am still and forever so happy for you two, Kait! He really is just the luckiest guy.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are my favorite couple IN THE WORLD. I am so beyond happy you're getting married. I can't wait until you BOTH come to the U.S. so we can group hug! I can't think of any two people more deserving of the happiness and love you share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me SO happy!!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. I can't wait for the wedding; I know it will be incredible :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad and I are so very happy for you! Love you both so very much!

    ReplyDelete